Friday, April 11, 2008

Carrot Patch Cake

I have a thing for carrots; they hold a lot of romance for me. And this dessert is no exception: dense pecan-studded cake layered with lemon cashew buttercream.

The cake is entirely raw, made from fresh carrots, almonds, coconut, sultanas, and pecans. The frosting is sweetened with dates, which lend it a soft ivory color.

Agave-soaked carrots are rolled into rosettes which adorn the cake, while the leaves get a bit of Springy color from powdered spirulina algae.

9 comments:

Mindy said...

Oh man, that looks sooo good.

Leigh said...

It's entirely raw?! Wow, that's one beautiful cake!

Joy said...

Thanks--yes, entirely raw!

I was a raw foodist for half a year prior to becoming vegan, and this was the first thing I made. It really expanded my thinking about food, and I still love fresh desserts like ths.

serina said...

so pretty!

Vegyogini said...

I can't believe I just now found your blog. That is a gorgeous cake!

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness! I cannot believe this cake! It's incredible! I just found your site (through Seitan is My Motor) for the first time today and I'm so glad I did! You are truly talented.

Anonymous said...

I just found your website, and am in Awe! Your recipes are wonderful and healthy. I have been trying out the raw food life, but haven't seen anything as wonderful as the cake you made. Do you share the recipe?

My favorite picture in your blog is of your cute daughter wrapped in the hooded towel. It is priceless!

Joy said...

Thank you everyone!

Anon, I haven't shared the recipe yet, but I will when I feature the cake again this Spring (and it's in my upcoming Cook, Eat, Thrive book). That photo of my daughter is one of my favorite, too!

Lindsay said...

Yummy! This cake looks so wonderful!
Is it really all raw?
Pleeeeezzzzzz post the recipe?
My family must try it!!! =)