Monday, April 14, 2008

Edamame Pesto

When Spring arrives, I tend to eat more raw foods, more green things. Everything outside has burst into color, and my body begins to crave it too.
Pale green Edamame Pesto is a great way to celebrate this verdant season. Rich in vitamins and minerals, it's bright flavor is perfect on crudites, as a sandwich spread, tossed with pasta, or spooned into bowls of hot soup. And it's completely raw, so every garlicky bite is rich with enzymes.
Edamame Pesto
about 1 1/2 cups

2 cups shelled edamame, thawed
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1-3 tablespoons water

In a food processor, combine all ingredients except water, and process well. The pesto should be dense and pasty, but not quite smooth. Drizzle in water by the tablespoon, and continue blending until pesto reaches the desired consistency (this will vary depending on how you plan to use it).
The pesto can be refrigerated for up to 4 days, or frozen for up to a month.

5 comments:

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

Wow that looks so healthy - and delicious, too! Yum :)

dirtandskirts said...

Looks beautiful! I'm curious about the edamame, though -- they're almost always boiled or steamed, even if they're later eaten cold. What I've read previously in various places (a bit from books, a bit from the internets -- Eden Foods actually has a marvelously footnoted page on Various Soy Misconceptions) suggests that raw soybeans are not a particularly good idea, at best (I'm thinking mostly of trypsin inhibitors and phytates here). What's your take on this?

Joy said...

Thank you for that article--I found it very informative.

I go back and forth on the idea of raw edamame. I think as an occasional convenience thing it's not really an issue. But I also realize that encouraging readers to consume raw beans isn't necessarily the most responsible thing to do.

Personally, I've never experienced any digestive problems because of raw edamame. But that could be attributed to either of these:
1) I have an iron gut and can eat absolutely anything with no ill effects.
2) The edamame I use might be somehow heat-treated prior to packaging, destroying any problematic compounds in the really raw stuff.

If you're concerned with using raw, simply steam the edamame briefly before using. The flavor and texture will only be slightly different, and you can put to rest any concerns about those pesky phytates.

Jill said...

I am making the Pickled Red Onions....but i was curious how much red onions to use in proportion to the marinade ingredients. The two TBLs vinegar and 1/4 tsp agave doesn't seem like a whole lot to marinate... maybe say 1/4 of a good sized red onion?

I heard about these recipes while listening to vegan freak podcast. I went out and bought a bbq just to try the pizza! its sounds and looks so delicious!
My husband and I gave away our BBQ when we went vegetarian years ago, but I didnt realize about all the fun vegan recipes (like tofu kabobs) you can still make with a bbq.

Joy said...

Jill, for the Quick Pickled Red Onions, use 1 whole red onion, sliced very thinly (I like to halve it, then slice to create half-moons). It seems like a small amount of marinade, but the vinegar will cause everything to soften and sink into itself.

Once the onion weeps its liquid and turns bright pink, you know the marinating is done. Of course, you can always let the slices rest for as long as you like, and a dash of cayenne wouldn't hurt, either.