Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sunshine Slaw

This tasty salad features kumquats and sun-colored bell peppers, sliced thin and tossed with green onions, grape tomatoes, and a rice dijon vinaigrette. Fatty avocado and earthy greens offset the slaw's sweet acidity.


My brother lent me the idea for this salad, and we refined it together. He's a 27-year-old bachelor who writes comedy and hates kitchens, so that means a lot.

The main ingredient is the kumquat, a thumb-sized citrus fruit. Unlike most citrus, the skin is sweet, and conceals a pucker-worthy interior. My mother has a small tree in her backyard, from which the little gems fall all Winter. If you're not fortunate enough to have a homegrown source, they can be purchased at most groceries.

6 comments:

J said...

hey, here is the site i was talking about where i made the extra cash, I was making about $900 extra a month...
check it out ..

J said...

hey, here is the site i was talking about where i made the extra cash, I was making about $900 extra a month...
check it out ..

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

Sunshine slaw! What a cute name. Looks delicious, too.

Least Likely to be a Worship Pastor said...

I'm SO excited you are posting again!! YEAH!!! :)

We miss you in Denver-
Rachael (mcclair)

Jon Hutchinson said...

This is really cool. It looks beautiful. and I know it tastes good too. thank you for making this with me.

Joy said...

Thanks Jon! I'm so glad you came up with this...it will be in the book!